Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Stocking My Travel Altar

Now that I have my altar box, I can begin to put together the essentials I’ll want to take on my trip. Keeping with my desire to use only what I have on hand I’ve scrounged around the house to come up with the following:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Candles- It will hold an entire box of 20 chime candles although I don’t think I’ll need that many on this trip it’s good to know it will fit. Chime candles are my preferred meditation candles as they burn in one evening so I’ll need one candle for each night of my trip. I will charge and bless them ahead of time. I use the mini ceramic candle holders for these but I didn’t want to travel with anything breakable so I found two brass thingies in the garage that were some kind of plumbing part. They work great and look pretty decent too.

Incense- This box won’t hold the stick incense that I prefer to use but that’s ok, I think that would be too much in a small single room so my next thought was cones, but they can be a bit much too, I was about to give up on the incense when I came across a pack of incense matches that I’d bought years ago to burn in my jeep after hauling stinky wet dogs. This is a new pack of frankensence- perfect! I can use the match to light my candle then blow it out and have a bit of incense. Now I won’t need to take a lighter.

Chalice or Cup- No luck here- I’ve tons of shot glasses but they don’t feel right. Can’t find anything small enough. Any Ideas? Ooh Update: I found a tiny stone bowl that went with an oil diffuser, the other part broke but I kept the bowl just in case.

Sword or Athame- A pretty silver pen and my husbands old silver dress pocketknife (which he gave me permission to use) I won’t be taking the pocket knife on this trip (airline security) so I thought the pen would represent the sword. Plus now I have a pen to write with.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Wand- I made a tiny willow fingertip wand that is too cute. At first it seemed silly but I had all these extra willow sticks I had collected at the park to make my full size wand with and one of them was very thin (too thin for a full sized wand) so I shortened it. I don’t think I’ll take it with me on this trip since it could be construed as a weapon by airline security as it is a pointed stick. (don’t laugh I’ve heard of more ridiculous things)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Tile or Censer- My one purchased Item. I bought a pretty 4” ceramic tile to burn incense, etc. on. I got it at home depot for $6.50

Journal- To go with my pen and record any observations. I have this tiny leather journal that I’ve kept for years that I write any inspirational quotes, poems, chants, affirmations, prayers, etc. It’s like a mini BOS in a way, and plenty of room for more as I travel.

Spell Paper- I found some blank print your own business cards with pretty flowers on them. I also had a pretty silver business card case to hold them. I will fill out a few of them ahead of time as meditation prompt cards or affirmation cards and such. And hey, I've already got a pen.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: